THE BOOK
Some of the ideas discussed in this blog are published in my new book called "The Stonehenge Bluestones" -- available by post and through good bookshops everywhere. Bad bookshops might not have it....
To order, click
HERE

Sunday 1 March 2020

Devensian glacial traces on Caldey Island


The exposure at Ballum's Bay, Caldey -- interpreted by me as a fresh Late Devensian till, and by John Hiemstra and others as a redeposited Anglian (?) till

I am following up on this post from June 2019:

https://brian-mountainman.blogspot.com/2019/06/caldey-island-till-and-this-blog.html

Followers of this blog may be interested to read of the exchanges (all very good-humoured!) between John Hiemstra and his colleagues on the one hand and me on the other.  They think that the "diamicton" at Ballum's Bay id a redeposited ancient till, and I am quite convinced that it is not.

In Researchgate you can now read the exchange from last October:

This is my reply to the original article:
Quaternary Newsletter Vol. 149 October 2019 pp 11-15
COMMENT ON“CALDEY (‘KALD EY’ IN OLD NORSE) WAS LITERALLY A ‘COLD ISLAND’, BUT WAS IT UNDER DEVENSIAN ICE?” QUATERNARY RESEARCH FUND REPORT BY JOHN HIEMSTRA ET AL.
Brian John

And this is their response to my reply:
Quaternary Newsletter Vol. 149 October 2019 pp 16-20
REPLY TO BRAIN JOHN’S COMMENT ON “CALDEY (‘KALD EY’ IN OLD NORSE) WAS LITERALLY A ‘COLD ISLAND’, BUT WAS IT UNDER DEVENSIAN ICE?” QUATERNARY RESEARCH FUND REPORT BY JOHN HIEMSTRA ET AL. 
John Hiemstra, Richard Shakesby, Simon Carr, Geraint Owen


I am completely unbowed, and I still think that John and his colleagues are wrong. I shall shortly post a response to their response to my response -- if you see what I mean.  If the mainland between Tenby and the mouth of Milford Haven was affected by Devensian glacier ice, then so was Caldey -- and this is surely confirmed by the discovery of fresh till at Amroth.

No comments: