THE BOOK
Some of the ideas discussed in this blog are published in my new book called "The Stonehenge Bluestones" -- available by post and through good bookshops everywhere. Bad bookshops might not have it....
To order, click
HERE

Wednesday 25 January 2023

Ice really does flow....


 This is a fabulous image -- Fedchenko Glacier in Tajikistan.  The biggest glacier outside of the polar regions -- 70 km long.

This isn't too bad either -- Bering Glacier in Alaska:


Below:  Barnard Glacier, Alaska (a photo much used in text books)


And finally Corridoren Gletscher, Greenland -- a photo that makes me feel slightly giddy, 
every time I look at it......






















2 comments:

Ian Shennan said...

Biggest or longest? Bering Glacier is ~190 km in length - Shuchman, R. A., & Josberger, E. G. (Eds.). (2010). Bering Glacier: interdisciplinary studies of Earth's largest temperate surging glacier (Vol. 462). Geological Society of America.

But maybe I am biased, I had 4 great field seasons there. A colleague and I have chapter in the above book.

BRIAN JOHN said...

Thanks Ian. Good to hear from you! Hope all is well...