THE BOOK
Some of the ideas discussed in this blog are published in my new book called "The Stonehenge Bluestones" -- available by post and through good bookshops everywhere. Bad bookshops might not have it....
To order, click
HERE

Thursday 29 September 2022

Abermawr raised beach, 2014 and 2022

 



These two photos show the first exposure of the Abermawr raised beach as it was in 2014 (top) and as it is today (bottom).

The exposure is now much more extensive than it was, as a result of cliff retreat and ongoing debris collapse down onto the beach.   Mind you, I have still not managed to examine the "pebble bed" properly, because it would be far too risky for an old codger like me to climb up to it.  I'll leave that to somebody from the younger generation who has a ladder and a rope........

5 comments:

Tony Hinchliffe said...

David Maynard? 😊

BRIAN JOHN said...

Has Dave got a rope and a ladder? He's rather busy over at the big road project.....

Dave Maynard said...

I'll photograph by drone, or if windy or seals close by, camera-on-a-pole.

Last time I was there, the danger of rocks falling on my head were too much for rope and a ladder.

Perhaps a Coastguard cliff rescue practise? We used to go over the edge of 600 foot cliffs on Cemaes Head, too much for me now.

BRIAN JOHN said...

Be careful, Dave! It's quite a dangerous place ........ but if at some stage we can get some closer images, that would be great........

Tony Hinchliffe said...

My brother ( who lives fairly near Abermawr) in his youth loved climbing trees - and later became a forester for a while, but he's over 80 now and is less agile.