THE BOOK
Some of the ideas discussed in this blog are published in my new book called "The Stonehenge Bluestones" -- available by post and through good bookshops everywhere. Bad bookshops might not have it....
To order, click
HERE

Wednesday 30 April 2014

Changes coming......

Dear Bloggers and Followers,

There have been problems with this blog for a while, mainly connected to the search facility (which was worse than it is now, but is still not working as it should) and the "share buttons" which are effectively blocked out by some unintended lettering that I can't get rid of. 

Blogger informs me that the template I use for the blog is incredibly old-fashioned and out of date, and that it is no longer "supported" technically.

So time for a change -- please expect the blog to have a totally different appearance before too long -- I hope without any reduction in its readability and its value to readers.  I'm currently trying out some of the newer Blogger templates.

Watch this space....

Brian

5 comments:

ND Wiseman said...

Looking Great, Brian! Love the new format.

Best,
Neil

BRIAN JOHN said...

Thanks Neil -- there are also changes to the way that illustrations are pulled into posts -- they may result in formatting problems. I'll keep on experimenting -- if there are any glitsches on other people's computers, please let me know...

BRIAN JOHN said...

One change may be in the representation of this blog on iPhones etc. Things should now be much better than they were, on mobile things including iPads!

Helen said...

Hi Brian

I really like the new look and hope you can fix any teething problems soon (not that I can see anything wrong on my computer!)

Thanks also for the piece on Doggerland/Storegga - Time Team screened an episode about it a while back and I found it very evocative, so it's great to see this update.

Anyway - getting to the point eventually - I've just seen this article at the Telegraph and wondered if the findings might have any bearing on why Stonehenge is where it is, even if it doesn't really add anything to the bluestone conundrum. Maybe field clearance of glacial, umm, "droppings" was why the bluestones were used?!

"The town of Amesbury, just two miles from Stonehenge, is declared the longest continuously occupied settlement in Britain following a landmark archaeological dig"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/archaeology/10801847/Stonehenge-discovery-rewrites-history-books.html

Thanks again for your blog.

BRIAN JOHN said...

Hi Helen

Thanks for the comment. The "ancient Amesbury" story is a jolly piece of tourist puffery -- I think Newport in Pembs is the oldest continuously occupied settlement in the UK, for reasons just as insubstantial......