THE BOOK
Some of the ideas discussed in this blog are published in my new book called "The Stonehenge Bluestones" -- available by post and through good bookshops everywhere. Bad bookshops might not have it....
To order, click
HERE

Tuesday 16 June 2020

New Pembrokeshire book slammed......


There's a new book on Pembrokeshire, written by Jonathan Mullard and published in the Collins New Naturalist series.  A snip at £35........... I don't think I'll bother.  I'm not sure who Mullard is, but he has done at least three books now for the New Naturalist series.  He does not seem to be either a geologist, or a geographer, or a naturalist, and neither does he seem to know Pembrokeshire very well, if a review from David Saunders is anything to go by.  He seems to have a background as a biologist.

David finds mistakes on page after page after page -- so one wonders where the editor was while it was in the pre-production phase.  Falling standards everywhere........

David is most concerned about inaccuracies and omissions in the natural history sections of the text, but he is also angered by the fact that while four pages are devoted to "the Preseli bluestones" and Stonehenge, there is only the briefest mention of the glacial transport thesis and therefore no science-based discussion of the balance of probabilities.  A sign of very shallow reading......

As I said, I think I'll keep my £35 in my pocket and use it as ice-cream money instead.

No comments: