THE BOOK
Some of the ideas discussed in this blog are published in my new book called "The Stonehenge Bluestones" -- available by post and through good bookshops everywhere. Bad bookshops might not have it....
To order, click
HERE

Friday 3 April 2020

The Celtic Sea piedmont glacier lobe: the eastern terminus


Following on from previous posts inspired by Ed Lockhart's doctorate thesis and some other recent articles by James Scourse and others, I have modified Ed's final map of ice directions (with many thanks!) to bring it more into line with the field evidence on the coasts of Pembrokeshire, Devon, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly.  See my previous post on the Scilly Nunatak.

I am now convinced that the ice edge along much of this eastern terminus (I refuse to call it a lateral ice margin) was buttressed agains the cliffed coasts of south Pembrokeshire, Devon and Cornwall and was nowhere quite powerful enough or thick enough to surmount them and press inland -- except in a few estuaries.

On the above map I have left most of Ed's  ice direction arrows in place, and added my own in the east.  I have also left in place Ed's suggested eastern ice limit (the white line running NE from the Isles of Scilly) -- but as already explained, I now think that this line has no significance.

No comments: