THE BOOK
Some of the ideas discussed in this blog are published in my new book called "The Stonehenge Bluestones" -- available by post and through good bookshops everywhere. Bad bookshops might not have it....
To order, click
HERE

Saturday 15 September 2018

Waun Mawn updates 2018


Couldn't resist sharing this great pic, from Hugh's Preseli360 Facebook page.  It's up on Waun Mawn for the convenience of MPP and his diggers, and it appears to be known as the TURDIS.  It also has the letters ABBA on the side -- where Sweden comes into the picture, I am unsure.

When I was up on the mountain today the diggers were hard at work, with a tent and what seems to be a little hut up in the vicinity of the standing stone and the pits that were opened last year.  Work seemed to be concentrated in a pit near stone 3 or 4.


I didn't interfere -- I got on with my work and I let them get on with theirs.  No doubt all will be revealed when MPP gives his latest talk on three separate occasions next week.

It seems that work is planned to finish by Tuesday evening.  That means the pits will be filled in on Monday and Tuesday.

Another bit of feedback is that in investigations of the rest of the circumference of the supposed stone circle, some recumbent stones have been found, some sockets have been found, but  some stones and some sockets are missing!  That sounds somewhat garbled to me -- probably misinterpreted pub talk!  Is sounds like less than a ringing endorsement of the proto-Stonehenge hypothesis -- but let's just wait and see what transpires.

Other news is that there is no digging this year at Rhosyfelin,  Carn Goedog, the Bronze Age site at Pensarn or the possible Roman site a few fields away.    Apparently research cash was tight, and work on the possible Roman site, while desirable, will have to be deferred.

If I have got any of this wrong, somebody will no doubt correct me -- and if anybody wants to share extra info, I will be happy to pass it on to readers.

3 comments:

TonyH said...

I could speculate on what ABBA might be an abbreviation/acronym for.

The 2nd "B" would stand for BUNCH.

You can each fill in the remainder for yourselves..... your choice how positive or negative you are. Perhaps we should wait until next week, when all is to be revealed at Talks.

Where is the THIRD talk, Brian. Other two at Castell Henllys, yes?

BRIAN JOHN said...

The third talk is at the Bluestone Brewery, just up the road from us. Their marketing round the year is based on the mystery of the bluestones --wilderness and craggy rocks -- and the diggers like a pint or two after a hard day's work! MPP puts bums on seats, and comes back every year to give an update to a packed audience of locals, who love a good story. I can't blame the owners (who are good friends of ours) for some blatant commercial opportunism! And the evening raises money for a good cause (the Air Ambulance), so that's OK with me.

TonyH said...

I am resisting the temptation to compete the meaning of the abbreviation: ABBA.

So far, I have gone for A--------B---------BUNCH A---------


Howver, the TRUE intended meaning has dawned upon me:


ABBA's first big hit, and Eurovision Song Winner was..........WATERLOO