THE BOOK
Some of the ideas discussed in this blog are published in my new book called "The Stonehenge Bluestones" -- available by post and through good bookshops everywhere. Bad bookshops might not have it....
To order, click
HERE

Tuesday 18 September 2018

The Waun Mawn Metaphor competition



Sometimes I get too serious on this blog, on things that seem to me to be important.  OK -- I admit it! So now and then it's good to be a bit more frivolous.

A well-known author of official Stonehenge guide books -- who shall be nameless -- recently referred to those of us who know something about glacial processes as "ludicrous glacial transport cobblers".  That was a very jolly jest, and of course he didn't really mean it........ so let us continue in a similarly frivolous vein........

 Here is a light-hearted competition -- what is the best metaphor for what is going on up on the windswept slopes of Waun Mawn?  Our jolly jesting archaeologist may even be up there as we speak.    Who knows?  They stick together, these guys.

Anyway, all entries will be given due consideration.  The prize for the winner is still to be decided -- maybe Simon up at the brewery will donate a free pint of Bluestone ale?  No -- that's an outrageous suggestion -- he has to earn a living, like the rest of us.......









............ and here are some more.  The English language is well blessed.......






15 comments:

BRIAN JOHN said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dave Maynard said...

Is the second image a petard?

Dave

TonyH said...

OLD CHINESE RESTAURANT/PRESELI RHYMING PROVERB...................." HE WHO CHASES WILD GEESE.................., WHEN HE'S DONE, GETS A THIRST FOR YEAST!! (AND BEER.... AT THE BLUESTONE BREWERY......AND CASTELL HENLLYS!)

BRIAN JOHN said...

Dave -- yes it is. And somebody is about to get hoisted. Strange word, that......

TonyH said...

Who does that chap UNDER said petard remind you of? I hear he's been sailing a little too close to the [Preseli] wind over recent days........

BRIAN JOHN said...

No no -- the petard is the thing that explodes -- not the thing beneath which the Emperor struts! it's a strange old word -- before I looked it up I thought maybe it was the word for a man's breeches or something similar which needed to be hoisted up with a pair of braces. All very confusing.......

TonyH said...

Ah, I see. You live and learn (at least some of us do).

Dave Maynard said...

Now I don't understand the last four images, or what connection there may be.

You can't make omelette without breaking eggs?

Dave

BRIAN JOHN said...


I thought they were obvious! Somebody help Dave out! I love the last one in particular. I have a very similar pic of our son when he was a toddler......

Dave Maynard said...

I've got it!

You have a very bright idea, but nobody else can see it, or only all the other options there could be?

For Tony, I did find a band called Three Fish and the story about the three fish.

Dave

TonyH said...

GEESE/ YEAST/ HENLLYS ALL RHYME!! [JUST ABOUT) so I claim my free beer, and entry into the Quarry Free - Zone of Rhosyfelin (but it IS a RIGS).

BRIAN JOHN said...

I have an advantage -- many years of sitting our outside loo in Sweden (sorry -- is this too much information?), reading a splendid little book called "Red Herrings and White Elephants" or some such thing.......

My favourite is - in retrospect -- the over-egged pudding.......

TonyH said...

Wonder if Humble Pie is on the menu at Castell Henllys?

BRIAN JOHN said...

I doubt it. I gather that MPP is claiming that they have found "some sockets" -- if they are the ones I think they are, I am not impressed. No doubt more info will be forthcoming.......

Phil Morgan said...

In the wrong place at the wrong time, but that's another story, and he who laughs last is slow to catch on, and I do know what I'm not talking about, and half the lies I tell are untrue so I'm going for my tablets now.