THE BOOK
Some of the ideas discussed in this blog are published in my new book called "The Stonehenge Bluestones" -- available by post and through good bookshops everywhere. Bad bookshops might not have it....
To order, click
HERE

Thursday 5 September 2024

HH Thomas 1923 -- that infamous article is now accessible


Over and again I have picked up on complaints that the infamous 1923 article by HH Thomas -- on the subject of the Stonehenge bluestones -- has been impossible to find anywhere on the web.  It's more than 100 years old.  In some digitised collections in the USA the other volumes of the Antiquaries Journal are available, but not Volume 3.  All very strange.  As far as I can gather, Cambridge Journals  -- which took over responsibility for the old defunct journal -- has not digitised it either.  

So as a service to mankind, I have digitised my very old and battered version of the article as a "presentation"  -- and in no way claiming ownership or responsibility for the contents.

I hope that many people will read the article.  For all its failings, it is a very important contribution, and it's better that members of the public, and future researchers, read the full article and do not depend endlessly on what other people say about it!

Here is the link:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/383778469_The_Source_of_the_Stones_of_Stonehenge_by_Herbert_Thomas_1923_scanned_version

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It is digitised by the publisher but I think it is behind a paywall at £21. I was able to access it via my University login

Unknown said...

I have just accessed it via my University login, so it looks like it’s behind a paywall of £21.00.

BRIAN JOHN said...

It's outrageous that important articles like this should be hidden behind paywalls, out of reach for those who do not have current academic affiliations.

chris johnson said...

Great read! There is talk of several circles in Presceli. I know only Glandy Cross and Gors Fawr. Do we know where the others were?