THE BOOK
Some of the ideas discussed in this blog are published in my new book called "The Stonehenge Bluestones" -- available by post and through good bookshops everywhere. Bad bookshops might not have it....
To order, click
HERE

Friday 20 May 2022

Education, education, education...........


A couple of days ago I went up to Swansea University to give a talk on the bluestones to the local U3A group.  A  good audience, a lot of interest, and some really intelligent questions and discussion afterwards.

It was a particular pleasure to see in the audience Mike Bristow, my geography teacher when I was a kid in Haverfordwest Grammar School, 1951-59.  He's 92 now, and still going strong.  He's been living near Swansea for quite a few years. I owe him a huge amount -- it was he who introduced me to geomorphology and gave me my love of the landscape, and who taught me to question everything.  Scepticism is different from cynicism -- as I try to demonstrate on this blog.  Mike also taught me to trust in my own judgment, so long as it is based on a sound understanding of the nature of the evidence available.  Thank you Mike, for all that you gave to me and a whole generation of geography pupils long ago, in those days of innocence.......

2 comments:

Tony Hinchliffe said...

An I right in thinking the misty image of Stonehenge you show here has NOT replaced your son's designed image that you used on your book " The Stonehenge Bluestones " originally published in 2018?

Someone pointed out to me via Facebook that the misty image hasn't got any bluestones visible!

BRIAN JOHN said...

The book cover is unchanged. The misty image was used just because I thought it was a nice image, suitable for placing some lettering on it. I had not even noticed that there are no bluestones visible.......