THE BOOK
Some of the ideas discussed in this blog are published in my new book called "The Stonehenge Bluestones" -- available by post and through good bookshops everywhere. Bad bookshops might not have it....
To order, click
HERE

Tuesday 3 November 2015

Banded dolerites on Carningli?


These pics are from the NE flank of Carningli, close to the entrance passage leading into the hill fort, and the rocks look to me like banded dolerites.  Not my area of expertise, but I don't think they are andesites, or dacites, or rhyolites.  The GS map for the area shows dolerites and gabbros -- but this doesn't look like a gabbro either.  Over to the experts?  Suggestions, anybody?  The little strips that stand proud seem to be very narrow quartz layers.....





Just added:  here's another photo found on my file.  It shows some bands transverse to the others.  Does this mean that the bands of quartz (?) are secondary features, due to precipitation along bands of weakness or fractures in the rock a long time after cooling?


PS.  I stand corrected -- this post referred originally to "banded dolerites" but it appears that there are no such things.  So "banded" will probably be OK, since that's simply a descriptive term that makes no assumptions as to origins.


3 comments:

Myris said...

Do not know. Knock a piece off and post.

Flow banding in the sense you are using it is not possible in dolerites, they are by definition (high level) intrusives. Need to see it in the flesh.
I think were they 'flow-banded dolerites' they would be in the geological literature and I do not recall any such writing.
M

BRIAN JOHN said...

Thanks Myris -- I thought I saw the term somewhere. Maybe just for rhyolites? Anyway, next time I go up I'll try to bash a bit off for you to look at....

BRIAN JOHN said...

These "bands" are genuinely confusing -- the bands stand proud of the weathered surface, and they are regularly spaced. They cannot really be referred to as foliations, because that implies crystal alignments at a micro-scale -- and why should they be aligned in discrete layers with non-aligned crystals in the spaces between the bands? Are we looking at a cooling phenomenon? Or are the bands metamorphic features created some time after the initial cooling of the dolerite? I have assumed that the prominent bands are made of quartz crystals, but I found an image from St Kilda of some similar looking dolerite with light-coloured and prominent bands, and those were referred to as being bands of feldspar crystals. The mystery deepens.....