THE BOOK
Some of the ideas discussed in this blog are published in my new book called "The Stonehenge Bluestones" -- available by post and through good bookshops everywhere. Bad bookshops might not have it....
To order, click
HERE

Thursday 26 August 2021

Abermawr raised beach

 


I went down to Abermawr today, not sure whether I would find a parking spot, what with all these tourists crowding onto every accessible beach and cove around the Pembs coast.......  

Anyway, I did find a spot, and I managed to get the best photo yet of the high raised beach which I discovered a few years ago.  It's sitting on a high and rather undulating bedrock platform.  I assume that it is Ipswichian in age.   It's capped by a 50 cm layer of pseudo-stratified Ordovician bedrock slabs (shale, sandstone and quartzite) and then by a massive layer of matrix-supported slope breccia.  In turn this is overlain by the Irish Sea till and by very complicated melt-out deposits that are largely redistributed or redeposited.  The slope breccia must date from the Early and Middle Devensian, as I suggested all the way back in 1965.  The till and other glacial and glaciofluvial deposits must date from the LGM.

No comments: