THE BOOK
Some of the ideas discussed in this blog are published in my new book called "The Stonehenge Bluestones" -- available by post and through good bookshops everywhere. Bad bookshops might not have it....
To order, click
HERE

Saturday 10 February 2024

Bigfoot and Waun Mawn





Some people still perpetrate the myth that there is an academic consensus out there on the matter of the bluestones, but every now and then we encounter a reminder that there are still some people who are capable of thinking for themselves.  This compilation of three 2021 articles published on the "Landscape and Monumentality" blog puts it all rather succinctly:


I have seen this all before, but I had forgotten that the mysterious author of the blog is just as sceptical about the academic worth of "Antiquity" journal (linked to Cambridge University) as I am.......

Quote

"The story of Stonehenge and Waun Mawn is told in the journal Antiquity but if you thought it would be any more scientific than the BBC television program The Lost Stone Circle Revealed, then think again.

Parker Pearson said: “I have been leading projects at Stonehenge since 2003 and this is the culmination of twenty years of research. It’s one of the most important discoveries I’ve ever made.”

This is not a major discovery by any means; it is a supposition painting a romantic image of a people migrating from their homelands bringing their stones, representative of their ancestors, with them in an attempt to solve the mysteries of Stonehenge. But there is one significant element missing: firm evidence.

Finding Bigfoot is more convincing."

Anyway, since 2021 almost all of the speculations that underpinned the elaborate and glamorous Waun Mawn narrative have been whittled away, leaving behind a few bits of wreckage on a windswept Preseli hillside........  as they say, truth will out.






3 comments:

Tony Hinchliffe said...

Hear, hear, Brian. And Posted onto Facebook.

Christy Stone said...

Mr. John-
I hope this reaches you. I am at a lost on trying to contact you.
However, here goes. I am still looking for some sort of map showing how the people from NGS
eventually brought young two people (one man, one woman) to climb Ingmikortilag.
They went by way of Scoresby Sound to Nordvest Fjord to that rock cliff no one had climbed
previously. The one thing they did not show on that 3-hour long show was how they descended
and how long it took them to do so. It took them 5 days to climb up that rock cliff.
That area of Greenland is so foreboding and frightening but at the same time so impeccably
pristine in its wild untamed beauty. My goodness, it took my breath away and I could not fill my eyes enough with the splendor of that fjord. I am so very fortunate to have seen that part
of our planet in my lifetime. Thank you. Christy Stone

BRIAN JOHN said...

Hi Christy

Message received! This is a post on quite a different topic, but never mind. I have quite a few posts on Nordvestfjord, and you can get at them by putting the name into the search box. I looked up some info about that expedition, and they seem to have done some climbing and glacier walking in Renland as well -- that's very close to the fjord.
Cheers
Brian